The Beckley Foundation is a UK organization, the mainstay of their work being to direct and support world-class research into the practices used to alter our conscious states, and the policies that seek to regulate some of these practices. Their activities include:
- Initiating and directing scientific and policy research programmes
- Hosting high level seminars
- Writing academic reports
- Creating networks of academics, professionals, and policymakers
- Disseminating information to academics, health professionals, policymakers and the public.
- Maintaining a website which contains all our publications, as well as an extensive online library with over 15,000 scientific papers and articles.
In 2009 they released the Beckley Foundation Global Cannabis Report, written by drug policy experts from around the world. The report provided an overview of the scientific literature on cannabis, detailing its potential harms and those caused by its prohibition.